Saturday, April 30, 2016

Discovering Yourself is a Pain in the Ass

"Where do you see yourself in about five years?" asks the interviewer. 
What I say: "Becoming an entrepreneur and developing my own startup - one that provides *insert position-related BS*" 
What I'm thinking: "I don't f**king know." 

Why is that such a horrible answer? Because I'm not pretending I've got my shit together? Over the years, I've realized how overrated it is to have a passion - well, mostly because I don't have one. I wish I was one of those people who had a structured picture of their long-term goals...but I'm not.


via GIPHY

Ever since I can remember, "passion" has been thrust into my subconscious to ensure that the career I pursue is something I love and can't do without. From trashy magazines like Cosmopolitan and Glamour to random articles like "10 Tricks to Help You Land a Job," the P-word will surely be found within.

For me, what's more important than finding a passion is figuring out who I am. Maybe the passion part will follow once that's done with. So, here's a list of things I (and maybe even you dear reader) currently need to conquer to help explore my wonderful self. If I don't...ehn. What matters most is that I'm content and satisfied with what I'm making out of what life has to offer.

Dance Like No One's Watching...In Public

You'd be surprised at how much you can learn about yourself while swagger-twerking in a hip hop class with 15 other strangers. If you're as socially awkward as I am, go take a random dance class right now. Every single person in that studio will be too busy focusing on themselves - just like you - to care about how great you are at learning the routine.


via GIPHY

Stop Snapchatting Your "Exciting" Life 

Rule of thumb: If you're snapchatting your day or night out, you're not actually having fun right? If you were, you wouldn't care about proving how happy and adventurous you are to the world. I do this all the freaking time and later want to smack myself for doing it. Unless it's a super exciting event you want to share with the world, let's not exaggerate our happiness. Feel-good selfies are okay too. Heh.


via GIPHY

Crawl Out of Your Comfort Zone

I find it supremely difficult to make small talk, take compliments without saying something stupid, approach an acquaintance or stranger to ask a question, or go out alone without the constant thought that everyone's waiting for me to do/say something stupid. There's no way around this except taking a deep breath and not giving a shit. A skill that I'm desperate to master but I'm getting there...one not-so-awkward moment at a time.


via GIPHY

Distance Yourself From Idiots

It's taken me quite a while to realize that it's okay not to be chummy with friends who you were once chummy with. Whether it's because you no longer have anything in common, realized they were a douche, or simply don't like them...it's more than okay to move on. It's better to have a minimal number of people around who legit care about you rather than dozens who pretend to.


via GIPHY

For now, that's pretty much all I'm working on. Failing miserably sometimes but marvelously succeeding other times. Have any suggestions for me? Let me know in the comments below - without being an asswipe. Much love.


No comments:

Post a Comment