Wednesday, June 8, 2016

My Curious-Hate Relationship With Mann Mayal

Every Monday evening I'm forced to watch one of Hum TV's most idiotic dramas to date, since it's one of the few shows my sister and I can watch together. Why do we watch Mann Mayal? To get a good laugh out of it and to see what happens with one of the most obnoxious on-screen couples in the history of Pakistani television. 


Somewhat inspired by Parhlo, here are the top four reasons why Mann Mayal continues to make my eyes roll up to five times a minute during its 30 minute run:

1) Hamza Ali Abbasi's Miserably Shit Attempts To Be Prince Charming
Let me apologize to the Hamza Ali Abbasi fan club in advance...I'm sorry but I have no idea what you see in this Maulana Junaid Jamshed type being. He played a pretty good Malang Baba in Ho Mann Jahaan, yesBUT IN MANN MAYAL HE GIVES HIS "FORBIDDEN" LOVER WANNABE RUMI ADVICE ON LIFE WHILE PRETENDING TO BE HIS PERSONAL ASSISTANT/SPY'S GURU JEE? OH MY GOD.

But wait, that's not even the worst thing Salahuddin does. The dude legit spies on his Mannu (reason two – see below) and her family from ON TOP OF A GOD DAMN BUILDING WHILE THEY'RE AT A PARK. 

Oh and he also assigns his once-nemesis Jameel to pretend he's a cook at Mannu's house so the latter can keep an eye on her...that's not creepy at all. Oh and let's not forget his general aura of "I'm so self-righteous and full of goodness and wonder...but I also deserve to die because Mannu said so."


2) Mannu the Moron
"Because I'm a woman I must rely on a man for every single thing and be a damsel in distress every second of every day."

You got married to a crazy man out of spite because the love of your life couldn't marry you? Oh poor you. Poor, poor, poor you. Grow some woman balls. Please.

ESPECIALLY if after marrying him your entire family is telling you the guy is bad news and to divorce him, why don't you go ahead and do the exact opposite out of spite again? Oh wait...that's exactly what happened.


via GIPHY

3) Mikaeel's Dumbass Mother
If there are actual women like her in the real world...their future bahoo's (or daamad's) and husbands shouldn't waste any time in drugging her...for life. In Mann Mayal's world where a mother will relentlessly defend her a** of a son even if he treats her, her husband, and his own wife like crap, only she can be held accountable for his piece of shit upbringing.

HOW CAN SOMEONE BE SO UTTERLY STUPID AND TRAPPED IN A "MY SON CAN DO NO WRONG" BUBBLE IF HE'S TELLING YOU TO TAKE HIS WIFE BACK TO WHERE SHE CAME FROM BECAUSE "Mama iss ko wapas bhaij dayn, meray say nahin hoga bus, nahin meray say nahin hoga" (in the most casual tone ever may I add).
No wonder Mikaeel turned out to be such a great father to kids who he literally kicked out of his house while saying "chalo beta bye bye! niklo niklo shabaash."

4) People Who Don't See Anything Wrong With Mann Mayal
If you're one of those I hope to God I never meet you. Or I hope someone knocks some sense into your crappy brain cells. While watching one of the latest episodes on YouTube, I sighed deeply when it finished and - I shouldn't have, I know - scrolled down to read the comments.

Oh. My. GOD. These were people who had no problem watching Mann Mayal and sympathizing with poor Mannu and Salahuddin because love (even if it's between a stalker and an idiot) conquers all, but agreed that Udaari should be banned. Why? Because it prominently depicts child abuse in Pakistan.
Woah! A drama that emphasizes an important issue that needs to be tackled rather than one that revolves around marriage and saas versus bahoo or bahoo versus nand conflicts? GASP!
UGH. Y u do this Pakistan. Why.


via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment